There’s no better feeling than walking into a room to the scent of a hot lead. That’s right – as a business, the smell of a prospective client coming in the door is the probably one of the most euphoric feelings one can feel. Alright, we’re fans of hyperbole. But, connecting with a qualified lead that is ready to convert into a customer is a redeeming feeling.
But, how do you even get to the point of having a hot lead? Here are a few lead generating techniques and conversion suggestions to ensure that you’re bringing home the bacon.
Before hopping on the lead generating train, be sure you have a strategy in place. From defining your business messaging, to understanding your competitors to identifying your target audience – these are all crucial steps along your lead generating journey.
Your Business – As we mentioned before, it’s important to know your business and the messaging that you want to spread. Having defined goals for both revenue and engagement with customers is key. What are your KPI’s (key performance indicators), what will be considered a success to your business? Be sure to visit these goals and metrics often, as your business or industry may change.
Your Competitors – You know what they say about keeping your enemies close! Know what’s happening with your industry news, and stay current on what your competitors are saying and doing.
Your Audience: What are your customers looking for and how can you fit their need? Who / Where / What are they? Knowing the ins-and-outs of your customers can help you better connect with them.
You’ve seen the term before, but do you really grasp the importance of inbound marketing for your lead generation? Now that you know who you are, and who you want to connect with, how can you get them to your site? Inbound Marketing – is a way of bringing customers to your site at their own will, not pushing them to your site; rather it is pulling them in. Here are a few ways to successfully implement an inbound marketing strategy:
- Premium Content – we’re talking high-end, unique, can’t get it anywhere else-type of content. Your customers will do almost anything to read this piece of content, and by anything, we mean fill out a form. That’s right – they will give you their information in exchange for this premium content.(Note: to find out how to promote this content and get it in front of your audience, check out this promotion blog here.)
- Consistency – there’s a reason all of your favorite TV shows are scheduled at a certain time to air. As viewers, we want to know when we can expect the next great season cliffhanger. As online readers or possible customers, they want that same feeling. Your customers want to know when they can expect great things from you. Create a content creation, publish and promoting schedule that is as consistent as possible. They’ll keep coming back for more at the same time and place if they like what they find.
- Multiple Touch Points – It can take anywhere from 7-13 touch points before you can convert a lead into a qualified lead/customer. It’s not a one-and-done deal. Expect to provide them with content, emails, information, calls, social posts, etc… Every which way you can connect with them to turn them into a hot lead, go for it!
So you have potential customers on site, they have filled out your form and now you’re ready to turn them into a customer. Here are a few conversion tricks:
- Nurture Timeline – as we mentioned above, it takes multiple touch points before a lead turns into a qualified lead / converts to a sale. To ensure that you’re consistently touching base with your leads, and not bombarding them with too much information, set up a nurture timeline. You can stay connected and subtly remind them about your services/product.
- Personalized Messaging – we live in a period where we want everything personalized. You should know their name, what information they have downloaded, and what they are interested in. Use that in your communication with them, it will help show how important they are to you and your business.
- Offer Incentives – Whether it’s a special promotion that’s on a time limit, or a free upgrade, providing a reason for your lead to convert sooner, rather than later is a great way to close the sale. Again, know what they are interested in, what their goals are and craft that incentive around their wants/needs.
At the end of the day, it’s all about giving your customers something they want, gathering their information, and staying engaged with them across multiple touch points. When you successfully implement the above tips, then you’ll smell the sweet aroma of hot leads all the time!