Five years ago this week, one of the most popular social networking websites was born. After a group of people built a prototype of what is now Twitter.com, the first post, called a tweet, was made by Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006. The service has grown to an average of 140 million tweets per day. There is presently an average of 460,000 new Twitter accounts every day. Not only is it a way for people to keep in touch with each other and make new contacts over the Internet, it has become a force in social media marketing for businesses big and small.
Other things of historical significance in 2006:
• “The DaVinci Code” was the highest grossing film worldwide.
• Italy’s soccer team won the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
• The infamous Las Vegas Stardust Resort and Casino closed its doors.
• The Apple iTunes store sells its 1 billionth song.
• 2006 Winter Olympic games were played in Turin, Italy.
Latest posts by MJ (see all)
- Penguin Versus Penguin: 3.0 Meets the Animal - Oct 24, 2014
- Discover What Makes You Different (And 6 Ways To Use It) - Mar 21, 2013
- Super Bowl 2013 Commercials Gear Up for Social Debut - Jan 22, 2013